What’s in your ice-cream?
Look at the ingredients on your ice-cream container. Go ahead, it’s not going to kill you to know what you’re about to eat. Though eating it may not be the best thing for you. And you just might learn a thing or two.
Does your ice cream only include the following ingredients? Milk, cream, specific natural flavors – not just the words, and sometimes eggs? Natural flavors include vanilla, berries, nuts, and chocolate etc.
If your ice-cream contains anything else dump it and make your own.
And No! You don’t need an ice cream maker.
All you need is 2 basic ingredients and your flavoring.
Mason Jar Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1-pint glass canning jar or glass jar with a lid. Make sure the canning jar is washed, dried, and cool. You can put it in the freezer until frosty to speed up cooling the jar. (I prefer to use wide mouth jars so I can get my spoon into it easier.)
- 1 cups cold heavy whipping cream or raw cream. Do not add more than 1 cup to the pint jar. The mixture needs space to expand in the freezer.
- 1/2 teaspoon of real vanilla extract – (do not use imitation extract. We use organic)
- 1 3/4 tablespoon of sugar (We use organic raw sugar)
You can find some of the ingredients and supplies listed at the bottom of the page if you choose to order through us. Yes, we get an affiliate for this with Amazon. Thank you for supporting us.
Let’s make some ice-cream!
- Place 1 cup cream into a canning jar.
- Add 1 3/4 tablespoons sugar to the canning jar.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla to the canning jar. (We use organic)
- Screw the lid on tight. Make sure the lid is tight or you’ll have a mess.
- Shake, shake, shake, shake vigorously about 3 to 5 minutes. The mixture will become creamy, and expand in the jar. Make sure the sugar has dissolved. Set the jar on the counter for a minute then look at the bottom of the jar for settling sugar.
- Open the jar to make sure the mixture seems thicker. Yes, you can taste it.
- Place lid back on the jar and place it in the freezer.
- Freezer overnight or for about 3 to 5 hours until frozen.
- Open the jar and eat.
For quicker freezing try one of the following:
- Wet a paper towel or cloth towel and wrap the jar. The cloth will freeze to the jar.
- Put the sealed canning jar upright in the ice-cube area.
- Set jar in the middle of already frozen food.
- Put the jar upright away from the door.
You can adjust the amount of ingredients to taste.
Plus, you can double, triple etc. the recipe for larger quantities. The more you make, the longer it will take for the ice cream to freeze.
I like making a quart or more at a time, but I pour the finished mix before freezing into smaller jars. This gives everyone their own ice cream and they freeze quickly.
Try other flavors too.
Any heavy ingredient added such as nuts and berries will sink to the bottom of the canning jar. Sometimes I freeze Berry Ice Cream upside down so I get my treat first.
Berry ice cream:
- Depending on the size of the berries you may need a larger jar.
- Add 1/2 cup fresh cold berries. If the berries are tart add more sugar.
- You don’t have to omit the vanilla, but you can.
- If you’re using frozen berries place them on the counter or in the refrigerator until they are soft. The liquid mixes with the ice cream for a berry flavor. DO NOT warm the berries up in a microwave. Warm berries make for spoiled ice cream.
Other options are:
- Add raw unsalted chopped nuts. Salted nuts make your ice-cream salty.
- Substitute any flavor you choose for the vanilla. Make sure it’s pure and not imitation flavors.
- Add Essential oils such as peppermint that say safe for ingestion or edible. You can in either replace the vanilla or use the vanilla flavoring. Only use 1 drop of oil in a pint-size recipe.
- Add chocolate bits. Make sure you use pure chocolate.
We love using 1 drop of peppermint in the vanilla ice cream with a fourth of a cup of chocolate chips or ground up chocolate. We use YL oils in our ice cream for more information on YL click here.
Now enjoy your creamy homemade ice cream without the fuss, mess or garbage ingredients!